Do Something You Fear Today and Magic Will Follow

Assorted Classical LP records
50 Classical Records Appear as if by Magic
A few weeks ago I put a note over the desk in my home office that read:

"Do Something You Fear Today."

For the most part, I have done a poor job of living up to the virtue it extols.

However, today I did something I have feared for a long time (and wouldn't you like to know what that was...). Anyway, I came home tired, but glad to have the ordeal behind me. Ruby yelled out, "Dad, you have a package on the porch."

"Ok, haul it inside."

"Its too heavy," she called back. I wonder what it could be. I carried the thing into the house and made dinner. I forgot about the box.

Ruby finally asked, "Well, are you going to open it?"

"Open what?"

"The box!"

"Sure." I tore it open. I pulled out wads of newspaper.

"What's in it?" Ruby asked.

"Records... classical records."

I unpacked Mozart, Brahms, Debussy, Ravel, Shostakovich, Grieg, Schumann, the great opera star Beniamino Gigli, etc... I estimate fifty records in all.

Later that night, I made a cocktail and listened to some Mozart Quintets and Brahms' Waltzes. I remembered how after Savannah died, I asked my brother to come over to help me organize my Classical LPs and drink beer, as a distraction. Savannah loved classical music as much as I do. We laid out my collection in composer piles all over the living room. Many of the disks featured performers who played multiple composers, or mixed records with pairings, such as Bach's Art of the Fuge with Beethoven's Grosse Fuge. As we drank and talked and arranged and rearranged, a classification system slowly appeared organically.

And isn't that the way life works? If you engage with it, struggle with it, ask for help with it, drink a few beers with it, the patterns reveal themselves, as if by magic.

So what of "fear" and the box of records? I find it no mere coincidence that this anonymous gift arrived today, the very day I faced a long time fear and took a step forward toward fulfilling my dreams. They arrived as if by magic.

I'd like to thank the person who sent the LPs. You have helped me believe in humanity during these difficult times. Your gift feels like a reward for following my heart and summoning the courage to move forward.

Whenever I listen to these records in the future, I will remember the warmth of strangers, the good will of friends, the ties of family and the tragedy and triumph that have become my life of late.

Do Something You Fear Today and magic will follow...

#gratitude #gift #music #classicalmusic #magic #serendipity #mourning #grief #recovery #joy #hope #fear #courage

Comments

  1. I've been reading your blog for a few months now, drawing courage and inspiration from what I find here. I hesitate to intrude on this space, but I want you to know how much your writing moves me (and probably countless others). I'm looking forward to the book. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nancy. You aren't intruding at all. It means a lot to hear from people who like the blog. It keeps me going. I'm glad you like it and it gives you inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts