6 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Little Things in Life

"Slow Down."

People say it all the time, but how do you slow down when you have a day job and you're working on your own projects at night, plus you have family and all the obligations of maintaining the objects in your life, such as cars, houses, etc? I don't know about you, but I've always got something pending and multiple "to do" lists that just get longer.
slow down with your multiple to do lists
My multiple "to do" lists


I got tired of running myself ragged. Here are some helpful tips that work for me.


Six Ways to Slow Down

1. Take a few minutes each day to plan ahead. I take my master "to do" list and chunk out the things I can reasonably do the next day. Those things become my daily "to do" list. When I'm done, I'm done. So, instead of the infinite list, I have the satisfaction of completion.

2. Mono-task. I know this is practically taboo in America, but try it. Do one thing at a time. Concentrate on it. Think about it. Don't try to listen to a podcast while writing a report. It'll just make you crazy and take longer.

3. Focus on the people at hand. Put the phone away when you're hanging out with friends and family.

4. Unplug from the media everyday. Plan your internet, news, and TV time in advance. Get your fix, then unplug. You don't need to spend 4 hours a day tuned in to this stuff. It just makes you anxious. Let the house or apartment have some quiet time, too.

5. Take a walk in a natural surrounding. Even if its just your backyard or a tree lined suburban street, get out and wander. Breathe. Stroll, don't power-walk. This is about decompression and quiet contemplation. Think of whatever comes to mind. Relax. Really look at the trees, the clouds, the grass. Listen to the birds. You'll be surprised what you discover.

6. Write a letter (see other post for details). At first you will struggle because you're out of practice. But let the pen flow over the paper. Doodle. Write about anything. Tell a story about something that happened recently, or a long time ago. Ask yourself questions. Speculate. Dream. Ramble. Write about what you're grateful for. Write about what pisses you off. Anything. The point is, slow down. Take time to think.

I always love getting snail mail. If you want, you can mail a letter to me at:

David Borden
c/o ScribbleFire
PO BOX 200512
Austin, TX 78720

...and there's a high likelihood I'll write you back. Maybe even send you an original drawing.

Let me know if these suggestions work for you. If you have others, drop me an email, leave a comment, or send me a letter.

slow down like a cat. Drawing of a cat by David Borden.
The cat knows how to slow down


Preview my new website at www.ScribbleFire.com. I'll be open for business on October 19, 2016, just in time for the Christmas buying season.


Follow me on Twitter @dsborden

#lists #slowdown #zen #relax #anxiety #worklifebalance



Comments

Popular Posts