The Mundane is Sacred

The house was quiet.  I was alone in the kitchen, washing a cruddy pile of dishes that had stacked up. I looked down to grab the next one that needed attention and there, in the murky foam, was a message from Ruby. The tension of the day flowed from my shoulders.  I paused and enjoyed my discovery, hands wet and pruny.  I forgot how tired I was. I forgot that my feet hurt. I forgot whatever petty resentments had cluttered my mind only moments earlier.

still life of dishes in soapy water with an "I love you Dad" mug.
My "I love you Dad" mug
Sometimes it's during these mundane tasks, when I let my guard down, when I least expect it, that I stumble onto the sacred.

I must always remember to accept these moments when they come, and enjoy them.


#mundane #family #love #joy #sacred #moment #happiness #revelation #epiphany #children #parenting

Comments

  1. Years ago I started a facebook page entitled, 'Severely physically and mentally compromised children'. It is all but defunct now, though a few hardcore fans still acknowledge its existance. Not because of its obscurity did I choose to share your moment of sanctity there, but rather, the people who will read it are the people that should and do get it.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts