What is Patreon and Why It's so Cool

Please take a minute to check out my Patreon page https://www.patreon.com/dsborden

What is Patreon? 

It’s a place where people like you can support creative work. Many of you have asked how you could help me while working on the graphic novel. Well, Patreon is an excellent way to do that. You can sign up for as low as $1 per month to get a "behind the scenes look" at how I create the art. I'll post sketches, updates, special previews, and lots of exclusive content that won't go on social media, such as this video of me working up drawing for "Flightless," the monthly letter story I publish. (Get your subscription before October 31 and also become a Savannah's Circle Member of ScribbleFire.com... click here for more details of this limited time offer)

But what’s in it for you? 

At each pledge tier, you get a specified reward, much like on other crowd-funding sites, such as Kickstarter. But more importantly, you are providing a reliable source of income that a creative person can use to invest in equipment, supplies, and other business infrastructure.

We both win. 

I get a base of financial support and you get virtual access to my studio, invitations to cool events, exclusive offers and discounts, lots of awesome art, and more.

In the old days, creative people had to find a rich patron. As a consequence, art was controlled by a small, powerful few. The internet has democratized the system of patronage. Now, artists can “sell shares,” so to speak, through crowd-funding. And there is power in numbers. For the price of one Caffe Latte at Starbucks per month, you can receive a beautifully illustrated story in the mail. For a little more, you can support ground-breaking art as described below.

I’ve saved the most exciting project for last:

People with intellectual disabilities are often hidden from mainstream society. I’d like to change all that. I’m going to set my easel up at the Arc of the Capital Area (read more about them at https://www.arcaustin.org/ ) once a week to paint portraits of persons with disabilities. In addition, the students will get tips and one on one instruction in drawing and painting from me.
Historically, only kings and captains of industry could afford a professionally painted portrait. But now, with your help, we can turn this system on its head. We can give these folks and their families a portrait that they can treasure for generations.

portrait of Savannah by David Borden
Portrait of Savannah by David Borden
I normally charge $400 for a 4 x 4 portrait. If you sign up on my Patreon page at the $30 /month level, you can purchase a portrait for a person with disabilities and their family at a discount. That’s right, I’ll paint their portrait and give it to them at a discount. You’ll get updates on the progress of the painting and feel the joy of giving.

However, if you become a patron at the $50 level, you qualify for a “Give one, Get one” offer. You give a 4 x 4 portrait to a person with disabilities and you get a 4 x4 portrait of a person of your choice (no celebrities) for you. I can paint you, your spouse, your child, your cat… it’s your choice. In other words, for your generosity, I’ll paint a portrait for you at half price. That’s an amazing deal.
If you have other ideas about supporting this project, let me know, and we can work something out. I look forward to continuing our relationship.

Wishing you peace and happiness.

P.S.
I want to thank you again for your support and encourage you to consider visiting https://www.patreon.com/dsborden and signing up.


Popular Posts